Caregiver is a special program offered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

How to Work as a Caregiver in Canada

Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision.

2 steps process

First, the job offer must be approved by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
Second, upon approval, the applicant has to apply for a work permit prior to coming to Canada.

[APPLICANTS] Requirements

  1. A job confirmation letter from a Canadian employer
  2. A written contract with your future employer. A detailed job responsibilities and work arrangement should be included.
  3. Successful completion of the equivalent of Canadian secondary school
  4. At least six months’ training, or at least one year of full-time experience (including six months with one employer) during the past three years
  5. Good knowledge of English or French
  6. A work permit to apply before you enter Canada
  7. Upon arrival, must live in the private home where they work in Canada

[EMPLOYER] Requirements

The employer must follow the following requirements:

  1. Must provide regular salary pay and deductions
  2. Must conduct regular remittance to proper agency
  3. Must meet the Ministry of Labor Standards:
    • Maximum 8 hours a day, or per written contract which must demonstrate that the regular work day is longer than 8 hours;
    • Maximum work hour per week cannot exceed 48 hours, unless the caregiver agrees in written, and obtain approval from the Ministry of Labor’s Director of Employment Standards;
    • Under no circumstance that the employer could be excused from the overtime pay;
    • A 30 minutes break must be enforced at all time with every 5 consecutive working hours;
    • Caregiver must receive at least 11 consecutive hours off work each day.

You are eligible to become a permanent resident of Canada after you have worked two years as a caregiver within three years of your date of arrival.

Your spouse (if any) and your children are allowed to be included in the permanent residency application once they have been declared at time of your work permit application.

Note: Quebec rule is different, you may visit for more information.