Study permit for Minor Children


Minor children who are already in Canada accompanying a parent who is permitted to study or work may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.

Minor children intending to study are required to apply for a study permit before entering Canada. Moreover, minor Children of temporary visitor required a study permit to study in Canada.

A custodian in Canada will be required if a minor child is less than 17 years of age at the time of application. Applications from minors between 17 years of age and the applicable provincial or territorial age of majority at the time of application should be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

ProvinceAge of Majority
British Columbia19
New Brunswick19
Newfoundland and Labrador19
Northwest Territories19
Nova Scotia19
Prince Edward Island18
Yukon Territory19