Study permit is a document issued by IRCC that authorizes a foreign national to study at an educational institution in Canada for the duration of the program of study.

If the course or the program is for six months or less, the study permit may be exempted. If you cannot finish your course or program before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay. If you finish your studies early, your permit will NOT be valid 90 days after you complete your studies.

If you plan to leave Canada during the summer, or winter holidays and spring break, you may also need a valid visa or an eTA when you return to Canada.